Overview of SAF
Activities
Regional Pages
Network
Members
Flood Data
Useful Links
Archives
Documents
Flood Events
Maps
Photo Gallery
News and Events


 Afghanistan
 Bangladesh
 Bhutan
 China
 India
 Myanmar
 Nepal
 Others
 Pakistan
Read More>> 

 

  you are here: HOME / Regional Pages / Flood Events / China / Disasters triggered by rainstorm in southwest China

     

Disasters triggered by rainstorm in southwest China

Author/Source : Xinhua
Publish Date :Mon, 28 May 2007

CHENGDU, May 26 (Xinhua) -- Disasters triggered by rainstorm have killed at
least 43 people in southwest China's Sichuan Province and Chongqing
Municipality over the past week, the local government confirmed on
Saturday.

A massive mud-rock flow in the county of Jiulong, in the Tibetan Autonomous
Prefecture of Garze, in western Sichuan, killed 12 villagers and injured
another 18 following heavy rainfall Thursday and Friday, a spokesman with
the county government said.

Heavy rainfall also caused a landslide in Shimian County in Sichuan's
central western city of Ya'an, where a bus was knocked off a highway by a
falling rock on Friday night, killing nine people and injuring 14.

The city government of Ya'an closed the Shimian section of the highway for
a safety overhaul on Saturday.

An earlier report said a landslide triggered by rainstorm last Sunday
killed seven and left three missing in Leibo County of the Liangshan Yi
Autonomous Prefecture.

The 10 victims, including three men and seven women, were from farming
families of the Yi minority. The youngest was only two years old, said Zhou
Gaopeng, director of the county's disaster relief office.

At least five people were killed by lightning strikes between Sunday and
Wednesday in the disaster-hit areas in western Sichuan, the provincial
government said.

It said nine people remained missing after being washed away by mountain
torrents or mud slides.

In the neighboring Chongqing Municipality, seven children died and 44 were
injured on Wednesday when lightning struck their schoolroom in the village
of Xingye more than 300 km from downtown Chongqing.

Three adults also died in Chongqing when the most destructive rainstorm so
far this year hit the eastern and southeastern suburbs on Wednesday, two of
whom were killed by lightning, the other died after he was buried under
ruins of his toppled house.

The rain in Chongqing lasted for 32 hours, making it necessary to evacuate
112,300 people from their homes and caused a direct economic loss of 573
million yuan (73.5 million U.S. dollars), themunicipal government said.

Ministry of Civil Affairs sent a relief team to the disaster-hit areas on
Saturday, bringing tents, quilts, clothing, food and medication.

The ministry said about 32,000 people had been relocated as rainstorms
inundated 500 houses and damaged 5,800 dwellings in Sichuan.

In Jiulong county alone, about 16,200 people were affected by the disaster,
which destroyed 1,300 hectares of farmland, washed away 2,175 head of
cattle and toppled more than 3,000 houses.

The ministry placed Sichuan's direct economic losses at 58 million yuan
(7.4 million U.S. dollars).

The disaster also destroyed more than 4,000 meters of a pivotalhighway
linking the western outback with Sichuan's provincial capital Chengdu, and
traffic has yet to resume as of Saturday.

Editor: Pan Letian

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the documents carried by the
ReliefWeb site are those of the authors and are not necessarily shared by
UN OCHA or the ReliefWeb secretariat. Inclusion of links to sites outside
the United Nations does not imply endorsement of the contents of those
sites. Any user comments added to forwarded Email messages are those of the
comment authors.